Thursday, July 23, 2009

PARAPLEGIA NEWS READER FONDLY REMEMBERS 'QUADALAJARA'


Editor, Paraplegia News

The Mexico Chapter PVA (Paralyzed Veterans of America) article (May 2009) brought back fond memories from the past. I attended my first PVA annual convention held in Chicago in 1970. I left that experience wearing a black and silver sombrero after admiring it for several days on the head of a Mexico Chapter delegate. It hung on display for several years in our home.
A few years later during President Frank DeGeorge's term in office I had the pleasure of serving as the National Vice President, back when there was only one such position. Since recruitment for members was in my job description and Chapter visitations was part of the job, I flew from Washington, D.C. to Guadalajara for an official PVA visit. It was the first time a national figure had made such a trip.

The hospitality and welcome received was red carpet treatment the entire visit. The VP met with most of the Chapter members (residing at this particular group home...most members rented houses and some shared theirs with other guys/gals), was shown the sites and living quarters of those residing in this quaint place. It was a real experience for all of us from which a favorable report was taken back to National Office. Those who lived that experience during that time in PVA history proved their independence, determination and showed to others what can be accomplished.

Over the years I have told others of my first trip South of the Border and how I enjoyed the adventure. Like so many things in life, we change, as does the situation.

However, it was a sad day in 1984 when a great PVA Chapter ceased to exist. I salute those members, still living, who had the chance to be a member of a one of a kind group.

John "Jack" Rine,
Past National Vice President, PVA

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home