Wednesday, August 29, 2007

CHARLIE "GRANDPA" CESKA


Funny thing about the Internet......it's opened a whole new world to everyone, whether they're aware of it or not. It's not as big a thing as Columbus 'discovering' America......or might it be? It can be used for GOOD or EVIL. The Internet opens a world of exciting possibilities for all of us. And some not-so-pleasant ones, as well!

During the past year I've heard from a number of family members and friends of just some of those who traveled through the special place in time that I affectingly refer to as the Quadalajara era (1950's thru 1980's). Almost all have come from sons, daughters, nephews and nieces, and grandchildren of folks whose names appear in my book or on the website.

Today, however, I received a short note from the son of Charlie "Grandpa" Ceska. Although Charlie had long since passed on before I discovered this unique utopia in the heart of Mexico, I knew of him and know people who were touched by his selfless dedication to serving his fellow veterans and the community which embraced them.

A founding member of the Mexico Chapter, Paralyzed Veterans of America, Ceska was elected the Mexico PVA's first vice president in June 1964. Affectionately nicknamed "Grandpa" by the "younger" paraplegics and quadriplegics who settled there, this early Pioneer of an almost forgotten moment in time, also went on to serve the organization as its first Service Officer --- assisting fellow PVA members with benefits, medications and medical supplies, hospital visits and much more.

Charlie "Grandpa" Ceska was just one of those many heroes almost forgotten by time..........

(In a somewhat related --- but unrelated --- BLOG post on May 27, 2007, a photo of Ray Clifford and Jimmy Lietz should now be available.)

http://www.quadmexico.com/

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger LauraB said...

Hello,

The internet IS an interesting place. Out of curiosity I googled my dad's name (Charles Ceska) and his dad's name (Charles Ceska) popped up, on your website. I saw that you received a note from his son, which must have been my uncle Gary, as my dad died in 1989. I am certain it was a healing experience for my uncle to read this tribute to his dad. Charles Senior had left his family when the boys were very young, and his departure was apparently very traumatic to the family and never explained to the boys, which I think left my dad very bitter. Maybe my grandmother never knew what happened to him. I am sending the information from your website to my mom; I told her I had seen my grandfather online and she was floored. She cannot wait to read your book and learn more about the father-in-law she never knew.

Peace,
Laura Ceska Barnes

10:47 AM  
Blogger tmptma said...

Laura:

I would like to here from you. I often think about your father, our growing up and his leaving us so soon.

Gary

11:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home