Tuesday, January 02, 2007

MEXICO PVA CHAPTER HISTORIAN

NEW YEAR'S 2007! What a better way to start the New Year then by going back in time some thirty years? It was after one of the Mexico Chapter Paralyzed Veterans of America (PVA) meetings that I was approached by then Mexico PVA President Keith Ziegler about taking on the position of "Chapter Historian". I was one of the last "new guys" to become active in the chapter while Keith had about a decade's worth of work and dedication under his belt. Looking back, I wonder now how it would have turned out? I never really considered Keith's offer, dismissing it without much thought. I never heard the words "Chapter Historian" uttered before or after our brief conversation. I was having too much fun taking advantage of my second chance at life, exploring all aspects of this adventure of living in Quadalajara, to be bothered with keeping a record of the Mexico PVA........Fast forward to June 2003: Keith Ziegler and I were now both living in the Phoenix area. Our relationship had evolved from a working one to that of being friends and neighbors. In fact, once I started working on the book, Keith and I became even closer. I grew to respect and admire this humble dedicated family man the more that I researched QUADALAJARA. The old Mexico PVA files & documents that Keith "discovered" while cleaning out his closet form the backbone of the book. Our formal and informal interviews added flavor to this unique piece of history lived by and shared by so many quadriplegics, paraplegics and other wheelchair users. In a strange twist of fate I finally became the unofficial "Chapter Historian" and "expert" on all things about this special place in time. If anyone has a question that I can't answer, I know a few folks who just might be able to help. www.QuadMexico.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home