Tuesday, June 12, 2007

"QUADALAJARA" --- FEEDBACK


In the fall of 1998, when I was a social work intern talking to you, someone who had lived in Guadalajara, Mexico, I clearly remember standing at your hospital bed and telling you, "You are part of a remarkable moment in history. You should write a book to tell this story. There's a screenplay in there." After reading parts of that book, now I realize I had no idea at all about just how truly remarkable that moment in history was. I knew it was very important for you, as the youngster of the group, to tell the story.

M.O. Social Worker
San Diego VA
_ _ _ _ _


Wanted to tell you I very much enjoyed your book. You have a gift. The research you did amazes me. Although I wasn’t there, I feel that your documentation of the adventure that you and your fellow pioneers underwent in that place and time will and should always be preserved not only to acknowledge those that participated, but also preserved for those that your courage has and will inspire.

Dennis Burton
Mesa, AZ
_ _ _ _ _


Interesting book. Jack is one of my clients and he shared some of this with us as he was writing it Many of the veterans living in Guadalajara during those years are guys that I know today (or knew before they passed away), so it was an interesting read. Certainly shows a different picture of life in Mexico following Vietnam for SCI veterans than was shown in "Born on the Fourth of July.

KLD
From the Internet
_ _ _ _ _


My editor loved the story and I get the feeling that a lot of other people read and liked it. I'm glad we were able to generate some buzz for your book. You have a fascinating story and it's worth telling. I want to thank you again for your cooperation. If there's anything else we can do for you, just let us know.

Dave Casey
Pawtucket Times
_ _ _ _ _

I started reading your book as soon as I got it and read all the way across country when I left Phoenix. I loved the book and felt as if I was there in Mexico -- I can just see you guys. The book was very interesting not just to me who knows you but to some others who have read it. You "quads "are something. I admire your courage and your attitude about your change in life's plan.
Roberta N, Former SCI Nurse
Phoenix VAMC


_ _ _ _ _


Hi Jack! I was so bummed when I learned you left before I could say bye! I wanted to let you know that I am really enjoying reading the book – thank you for sharing. I ... already I have learned so much. It is so eye opening to me to realize that I know so little about the experiences of the people that I serve. When I have read it around friends, I have been able to educate them on what I do and what I have learned from your book. Kathy said it should be a required text for all our staff - I think she is right. I am doing a very involved .........study program this year. It leaves little time for outside reading, but yours is the first book I grab when I get a chance. Thank you again!Sincerely,
Lani D, Recreational Therapist
San Diego VAMC
_ _ _ _ _


My mum snatched your book off of me and is half way through. She loves it!! I asked her if you were more naughty further along in the book, she wouldn't answer me. I'm just teasin', although I really did ask her....

Kimberly G, Physical Therapist
Miami, FL
_ _ _ _ _


Jack, I just finished reading your book/memoir. I find it thoughtful and well-written. It is a good depiction of your personal experience as a disabled expatriate in Mexico. Also, it brought to life the misconceptions and negative opinion about the real purpose of living in Guadalajara.

Eileen H.
San Diego, CA
_ _ _ _ _


Thank you very much for taking the time to speak to me this morning. We're all very appreciative that you were able to write Quadalajara. I was fortunate not only to have lived in that wonderful city, but also to have met most of the early "Pioneers" you mention from the "Golden Era." I was blessed to have been raised by two wonderful parents who raised me during my formative years in that wonderful city. As with all great books, I will from time to time pick up your book and reread it with the same excitement I felt the first time I read it. I hope to keep in touch with you in the years to come.

Dr. J. A. Foland
Florida
www.QuadMexico.com

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home