Wednesday, November 15, 2006

CHARLIE NEWBOLD

CHARLIE NEWBOLD was 23 years old when an auto mishap left him a quadriplegic in October of 1961. "The accident happened in Spain," he explained. "I was actually stationed in France and should have returned stateside, but had my Army tour extended by three months when the Berlin Wall went up." ...
... Asked about when he thought about checking out Quadalajara, Newbold replied, "My friend Joe Cicero is the one who really pushed us to go." Charlie Newbold was in the same situation as many. "I grew up in the Bronx. My mother lived in a three-story walk-up." Not exactly wheelchair friendly accommodations. "I'd never have gotten out on my own. We had guys living at the hospital for thirteen, fourteen, and even seventeen years. After a while, you just figured that was the way it was going to be." From page 160 www.QuadMexico.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home