Saturday, February 02, 2008

EXCERPT FROM CHAPTER THREE - SEX, DRUGS AND R&R


QUADALAJARA --- The Utopia That Once Was

(Excerpt from Chapter Three)........... I awoke with the sunlight. Lee was asleep next to me. As I focused on the clock that said 11:00 a.m., I couldn't help but think that in a little over twenty-four hours I would be packing for my return flight to Vietnam. These carefree nights in Thailand were nothing but a pleasant distraction from what awaited all of us GIs. How could the time have passed so quickly? Why couldn't Bangkok be reality and the war just some sick fantasy? I wondered for the first time how many guys had lost their lives in the war while I was here having a good time. At least I knew I would be returning to an area in Vietnam where there normally wasn't much action. What about those guys who put their lives on the line every day and night out in the boonies--guys like the crazy GI who was about to pull a knife on me because of Lee? ... (related photo under Myspace "pics")

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home